Sunday, September 28, 2008

2008 NBL Alabama BMX State Championship

Well, my girlfriend Maggie and I left Cahaba Cycles in Trussville about 5:30 and started the trek down to Dothan. Traffic was a terrible so it got off to a rough start. We ended up staying at a fleabag of a motel called Adams Inn. Great place, friendly folks. ha. Anyway, got a decent nights sleep on the cardboard bed, woke up about 9:30 to start the day. Hit up some Hardees on the way to the track, strawberry biscuits are to die for by the way. When we arrived at the track I did the normal shaking hands and kissing babies routine that I go through when I arrive at every race. Saying hello to all of my fellow racers, the parents and the young kids I've befriended over the last 12 years of racing bicycles. Practice time rolls around and I'm feeling pretty good, a tad tired, but feeling fairly strong and riding pretty smooth. I decide to take a break and watch some of the other riders, the Cahaba Cycles amateur team was looking good. When race time came, all of our riders made their mains. We had three top 3 finishes and one of those was a win. So when my time came, I was pretty nervous but still feeling confident. Went 2nd 1st and 2nd in my qualifying motos. Trying to take it easy, but I could tell the other top contenders in todays race were also. Main time comes, I've got gate 4 dead in the middle, which is alright its a long first straight and anything can happen. The gate drops and myself and the two other top riders of the day (Brantley Wiginton and Matt Lindley) were dead even, I get a little sideways over the table and Matt pulls out front, Brantley goes to pass around the outside in the first turn and I push him up. I get on Matts wheel and try to hang on, he cuts right a little and pushes me towards the white line coming over the crossover and I get a little rattled again, Brantley tries to pass around the outside again in the second turn, I nail him with a hard elbow and put him out of commission for the time being. As I turn focus back on first place and try to catch him I start to realize I'm running out of gas. Battling with the rider behind has tired me out. Coming down the last straight I'm gaining ground on Matt but just ran out of track. I ended up with 2nd place by a tire. I'm not exactly happy with my performance in that main, but Matt is no slouch so I'm trying not to be too hard on myself. Overall it was a fun race and I certainly hope to see some more spectators out for 09 state season.

-Jesse Heath-

No comments: