Monday, March 9, 2009

Snake Creek Gap Time Trial



This past weekend, I competed in the third and final 2009 Snake Creek Gap Mountain Bike Time Trial . Compared to my last few attempts, I was far more prepared. I decided to use an underseat tool bag and three 24 oz waterbottles instead of my heavy camelbak. The three bottle decision was based on the sweat test I completed last year, which basically told me that I sweat like a horse. I decided that 72 oz was the minimum amount of fluid that I could take in over a 3 1/2 hour race effort in 70 degree weather. Luckily, I nailed it exactly by finishing without any cramping issues. I also made sure to order my custom Infinit Nutrition formula for hydration.

I decided to wear a HR monitor for this race. I don’t normally race with one, but for a race this long and intense, it was vital in helping time my fluid intake and ensure I didn’t push too hard in the first half of the brutal 34 mile course. Finally, thanks to Jonathan Robins at the Cahaba Heights store, we figured out that I was riding about 1.5 inches too low on the saddle. Riding with a low saddle has the same effect as trying to get up from a one foot stool vs a three foot stool. Although the additional height made some of the technical downhills a little scary, I more than made up for it in increased pedaling efficiency. Thanks to the additional preparation, and near perfect riding conditions, I managed to knock over 20 minutes off of my best time and take a podium finish in my first competition of the season.

The 3 series Snake Creek Gap offers a great pre-season training alternative. They also give out great swag to participants. Last year included a Snake Creek Gap top cap for threadless headsets. This year's memorabilia is pictured above.


Omar

www.ozonexterra.com


No comments: