Monday, June 22, 2009

Xterra South Central Cup - Arkansas


This past Saturday, I battled the 95+ degree heat for the top amatuer title in the Arkansas Xterra Cup Race. Instead of the typical two lap format of most Xterra Cup Races, the 1500m swim was one big lap around a waterski slalom course. The combination of 20+ minutes of swimming with no break and 85+ degree water temperature made the swim noticeably more difficult than usual. After leaving T1, it took a full 20 minutes of riding before the fatigue in my arms wore off. The bike was a fun 2 lap course through mostly shaded rolling singletrack. I managed to stay cool during the bike by following Pro Will Kelsay's advice, and stuffing a ziplock bag of ice down my jersey in T1. I also decided to wear a Cammelback to ensure that I took in enough fluids to get through the entire race. With the lead secured after the bike, I hit the run determined not to let anyone by. Most of my recent training focus has been related to running. Luckily, it paid off in my ability to maintain a consistent pace and hold on for the ameteur race victory. Next Up, Racoon Mountain SERC Mountian Bike Race...


Omar

No comments: