Monday, April 18, 2011

2011 MulletMan Triathlon Race Report



The 15th Annual Mullet Man Triathlon took place Saturday April 16th at the Famous FLORA-BAMA Road House at the boarder of Orange Beach Alabama and Perdido Beach Florida. The weather was just about perfect with a cool West Wind and good Gulf conditions for the swim start. A solid field of Birmingham folks were on hand as well as about 300 other folks from around the region.
I must say I was quite nervous for the start of the race. I was 3 weeks out from breaking two ribs on my back side and have not been training very much. No swimming at all left me a little worried about my ability to have any success at all in the water, but once the gun sounded it seemed that with a little rough water and my love of the surf I was off to a good start. I exited the water in 2nd place out of my wave start and headed to the bike. Now, I just sold my Tri-Bike and had my Trek Madone 5.2 to ride for the race. I attached some Vision Clip-Ons and had a good bike to ride for the 7.5 Mile Time Trail into the 15-20 MPH Head Wind. The first few miles of the bike were quite a challenge, but once we made the turn at the State Park the ride home was Sweeet. I managed to ride a 42:43 for the 15 mile TT, not the fasted Bike Split I've ever put up, but good enough to get me to the run in good shape.
The run was the last and final hurdle, and into the wind for 2 miles was not the easiest part of the whole race, but again once we made the turn it was nice with the tail wind coming down the home stretch.
I crossed the finish good enough for my 1st Male Grand Masters Win, and good enough for 12th Place Overall. Not a bad start to the 2011 Season. Now it was time for some Famous Flora-Bama Party Time......we took advantage of that for sure! Oh, and my Wife Took 3rd Place in Her Age Group! She was stoked! Good Family Fun!
Thanks to all the Cahaba Family for making the Wheels Turn Smoothly, and taking care of all My Racing Needs. Until Next Report! Much Love.........

Casey & Andrea

No comments: