Friday, November 9, 2012

Cahaba Cycles Team Rider Casey Fannin Checking in After the Xterra World Championships. Another Xterra World Championship is in the Books and Taking another World Championship was very Sweet indeed. Here is the Xterra Tribe News report from Maui. Of course none of this would not be possible without the support of the South's Greatest Bike Shop, Cahaba Cycles. Casey Fannin (50-54 Division) Birmingham, Alabama - 3:09:00 Former Mr. XTERRA Casey Fannin finished 32 seconds ahead of Armand Surwilo from Poland to win his third XTERRA World Championship this year. He also won the ITU Cross Tri World Title in his hometown back in May. The victories are just part of the lure for Fannin, who got started in the sport back in 1999. “I already loved mountain biking and really liked the triathlon thing, so I ventured over to Ruston, Louisiana to try out the XTERRA American Tour, and it was love at first race. Now 14 years later I still love XTERRA and its brand of off-road mayhem.” Speaking of mayhem, that’s how his World Championship race started this year… “I was not too sure about my race at Worlds last Sunday. The swim was quite pushy for me and I was well off course. I really thought I had put myself out of the mix when I was coming out of the water. I thought nobody can swim that slow and make up the time needed for a win, but once I made it to transition there were plenty of bikes still hanging at the racks, so I felt like I might be in alright position, and others must have struggled with the swim also. Looking back, I would have to say that swim was the craziest thing this year. Big shore break, pushy current, just perfect XTERRA conditions. People were swimming into the flow of people going out and back in, it was nuts! Can't ask for more crazy, like I said, perfect XTERRA conditions!” In 2011, the first year World’s was held at Kapalua, Fannin was leading the race going into the run but got chased down by David Maclean and ultimately finished second. He made sure history wouldn’t repeat itself this year. “Last year my run was what lost the race for me, so this year I trained in the hills much more, and I feel it paid off. My run split was about 5 minutes faster this year and I feel it made the difference for the win. Not to mention I have the most loving, supportive, best fan in the world, and wife on the planet that boosted my spirits during the race, oh, and I prayed the whole race...that always helps, always!” Outside of the race, Fannin “just kept falling more in love with my wife,” he said. “Maui is always a great place to spend time with my wife. We really connect there, and we love to swim with the marine life, especially the Honu. We had great accommodations at and I caught some sweet waves at Little Macs, it was going off the day after the race. It was a fantastic vacation! Maui no- ka oi.” Just a awesome day, and on Awesome Equipment....my Cannondale Scapel was the perfect bike for the Maui Course. Thanks again for the best bike shop in the south, and the great support from the Malki's, and Cahaba Cycles. Thanks Guys, Casey

No comments: