Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Another New Bike

Hey everyone, this is Omar Fraser. Although my preference is for off road riding, I’ve finally come to grips with the fact that it takes road miles to be a great mountain biker. Thanks to fellow cycling enthusiast Bob Schlemmer, who let me borrow his old Campagnola equipped steel framed Univega road bike for several months, I was able to make some significant cycling fitness strides in the off-season. More recently, I figured what better way to “stimulate” a struggling economy and celebrate a birthday than with a new bike. With my wife convinced I decided on a new Trek Madone 4.7.

With about 80 mixed miles on my new Madone, I could not be more pleased with the bike. The fit was the first noticeable difference between the old Univega and the new Madone. Although the seat was adjusted to my height, the 58cm Univega was just too small for my 6-3 frame. With a proper 62” frame, I am now able to achieve a much more natural riding position.

The second, and most surprising, difference between the two bikes was the increase in lateral stiffness around the bottom bracket, fork, and rear triangle. I have always been a skeptic of bike reviews that make claims with no actual evidence. However, in a sprint on the Univega, I could easily make the tires rub on the brake pads, and the chain rub on the front derailleur. From a lateral stiffness standpoint, this bike was as solid as a bank vault under any forces I was able to exert. I was also unable to notice any decrease in comfort (comfort is far more affected by the tires and the points where your body touches the bike than anything else).

Finally, while the steel Univega was a solid bike, it was no lightweight. Although I never bothered to weigh either bike on a bike scale, I weighed approximately 3 pounds less on my home scale while holding the Madone. Now I just have to get used to the Shimano shifters. Thanks again to all the folks at Cahaba Cycles!

Check out my website

No comments: