Friday, July 11, 2008

Commuting

First off, commuting is a good way to get in extra riding on top of your current miles. I'm lucky in that the Trussville shop is only a five mile ride from my house. I can quickly ride straight to work or tack on extra miles and get a good ride. The distance should not scare one away from commuting. It is easy enough to drive part way to your destination and then ride from that point.
In our shop we have bikes on display decked out with racks, panniers and lights that we equipped specifically for commuting, but you don't need a special bike or any equipment for commuting, though a rear blinking light is always a good idea and a front light allows me to commute during the winter when it gets dark early. I just use my cyclocross bike and a back pack. I ride my 'cross bike with knobbies for commuting because the trails in the Trussville sports complex are on my commute, allowing me to ride to only a mile and a half of which is on the road. The versatility of a 'cross bike spurs me toward exploration.
Having a place to store your bike also seems to keep people from commuting. At the shop I can just hang my bike on a hook in the back. When riding to school I left my bike in our school's theater. If you have your own office your bike could live in it with you, or if you do not have that luxury there is probally an empty office or room where you would be allowed to leave your bike during the day.
Hygiene and cleanliness after you commute to work can also be problematic. Showers are the most convenient and obvious solution to this problem. When commuting to school, where I did not have access to a shower, I would use paper towels and soap to bathe and no one ever knew the difference.
Most importantly, commuting can save you loads of gas money!
-Riley-

1 comment:

dwilkins said...

For the last couple of months, I've been an everyday bike commuter. Alas, my company doesn't have a shower, so I had to get creative with my hygiene.

1) First off, I've empowered my boss and coworkers to let me know if my hygiene plan isn't working.
2) Find a waypoint where you can shower that's closer to the office. I bike to the Shelby YMCA, exercise, shower, etc., then complete the 27 minute commute to work. I soft pedal the last mile or so to cool down, and wipe off when I change clothes.
3) Leave everything you can at work to cut down on weight. Shoes and belt are great candidates for your desk drawer.
4) Be as inconspicuous at the office as possible. Most days, no-one knows I biked in. Luckily, my job is predictable enough that I know in advance when I'll need to make a trip during the day.
5) Look for off-peak times/routes to commute, just to cut down on the traffic.
6) Be vigilant! Most car commuters aren't mean, but you have to assume that everyone is talking or texting.
7) Most of all, be predictable. Let the cars around you know what you are about to do well in advance, and avoid dangerous / sudden moves.

I love bike commuting - I get plenty of miles (especially in the afternoons). Cahaba Cycles in Pelham has been very nice on a couple of occasions to replace spokes "while I wait".