Monday, April 27, 2009

A Long Weekend



After two days in a row of racing, I finally regained enough energy to blog about it...

Saturday morning's Xterra triathlon in Winder Georgia started off with a half mile lake swim. After training in pools all winter with the luxury of walls to rest between laps, the first lake swim of the year was a small shock. Luckily, I have been swimming consistently this year, so it wasn't as bad as past years. Although I was third out of the water, I had a great T1 and started the 10 mile mountain bike leg in first. Friday's wetsuit emergency didn't leave any time to pre-ride the course. Fortunately, I had luck on my side as I safely navigated the bmx style jumps through one of the most technically challenging Xterra courses that I have ever ridden. I gained a sizable lead on the bike course, and despite recently overcoming a running injury, managed to comfortably hold form for 4.5 miles and take the race victory.

Sunday's 30 mile mountain bike race followed the same course as Saturday's Xterra bike leg. Once the horn went off for the 3 lap hammer fest, the lead group started off in a punishing pace. The fatigue from the previous day's triathlon set in before the end of the first lap. As the lactic acid quickly started to build, I slowed to a more sustainable pace and switched into training mode rather than race win mode. Although the mid-pack eighth place finish won't do much for my race resume, I added a thick layer of toughness that will pay off this season...

Omar
www.ozonexterra.com

1 comment:

Gimpie said...

Your a beast man. Keep it up.