Wednesday, May 4, 2011

2011 Ft. Yargo XC Race


This past weekend, my wife and I headed over to Georgia for the annual Ft. Yargo XC Mountain bike race. The race wasn't until Sunday, but we decided to head over to Atlanta on Saturday to grab some great seafood at Six Feet Under (Yes it's across from a graveyard!) and head over to Athens to watch the annual Twilight Criterium. The criterium is combined with a street festival and turns out to be one of the biggest cycling events in the country year after year. Needless to say, we had a great time watching the racers dive into 90 degree corners at speeds exceeding 30mph. Check out Brian Toone's race report here for more on the Twilight Criterium.

I was still feeling the excitement from the twilight on Sunday. Despite having to rely on a demo bike, I managed to ride a strong race. I started the first of three laps staying towards the back of the lead pack of five riders. I was sitting comfortably in 4th going into the second lap when the two leaders got tangled up in a crash. As the other riders regrouped I pushed hard going into the singletrack on the second lap. I kept the pressure on the pedals until I knew I was comfortably in the lead with a few miles to go on the last lap. Everything came together in the end for my first race win of the season!

Omar

No comments: