Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Xterra Fort Yargo Georgia 2011


Alright the 2011 Xterra Off-Road Triathlon Season opener was Saturday April 30th and it was a great day of racing. After a month of No-Training due to Broken Ribs as well as other "Life" Things, the Xterra opener was quite fun. The weather was perfect with lows in the 50's for the start and ending up with highs in the 70's toward the end of the race. Beautiful Spring time in the South. We had several Birmingham Locals over to race the Xterra as well as the SERC Series on Sunday.
I was a little concerned with my fitness, but I managed to pull off a pretty solid race after it was all done. My first race on the Trek SuperFly 100 29er was pretty solid for a tight, twisty single track trail. The bike handled well and was much more responsive during the race than during my pre-ride. I guess a little speed was all it needed. I think it felt at home on this course after the gun went off.
I mananged to get out of the swim in 2nd place overall, and held this position into the bike course. I kept thinking someone was riding me down, but it must of been some wierd flashbacks, or my Gaurdian Angel riding behind me! I came off the bike and started the run in 2nd place and did my best to hold this position for the 4.5 mile run, but near the end of the run my friend Mark Rudder ran me down along with some other young buck, right before the finish line! CRAP! I was not happy about that run, but it was still a fun day. I took 4th overall and won my Age Group for the start of the 2011 Xterra Season.
Full results can be found here:http://www.goneriding.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=192&Itemid=197
Now if I can defend my 2010 title I will be shooting for my 10th Regional Championship Title in the Southeast. It's still a long season ahead, but maybe we can build from here and have a successful 2011 season.
Major Shout out to the CAHABA CYCLES FAMILY for such Great Support and the best Bike Shop in the SouthEast. Coming up is the Beaches Fine Arts Series Triathlon and then the Xterra Southeast Championship out at Oak Mountain. Should be a fun Month!

Casey

No comments: