Thursday, August 18, 2011

Superfly 100 Observations



This was my first year riding a full suspension bike since making the switch to 29″ wheels in 2008. It took a while to get my Trek Superfly 100 to my liking in terms of fit, shock pressure, and drivetrain issues. But once there, it quickly became my favorite mountain bike of the half dozen or so that I have owned over the years. The most noticeable differences between my SF100 and my last hardtail, are that I’m able to descend rough terrain with more control and speed and maintain momentum through rock gardens with greater ease. I’m notorious for damaging wheels and spokes on hardtails, but my wheels seem unphased this year under the full suspension. In my opinion, a large percentage of the extra weight associated with full suspension can be made up by getting away with a lighter rear wheel.

Most of the questions from other riders are about the modifications that I made to my SF100. In particular, I added the following:
1. Custom chain keeper that I made out of a K-Edge chain keeper and piece of metal from a handlebar basket mount
2. Seatpost water bottle mount
3. Zip tied pieces of innertube to make sure bottles only exit the cages when I grab them
4. Spare lightweight tube in space between seatube/toptube

I also used a Nokon full length housing cable to keep the rear derailleur shifting like new. My only complaint about the bike is that I sometimes accidentally knock the pro-pedal lever to the off position when grabbing waterbottles. I hear the solution is to simply turn the shock around, so that’s on my to-do list in the next few weeks.

No comments: