Friday, April 25, 2008

There's nothing like a new bike!

A little over one week ago I took ownership of a brand new road bike. The moment was extra special since, like some of you have experienced, I waited a solid four and a half moments for the '08 Cervelo R3 frameset to arrive at the door step of Cahaba Cycles. The wait was painful since I had all of the parts neatly organized and in plain sight at my house. I'll have to admit there were a few moments at home where I would grab the shifters out of the box, close my eyes and visualize just what I would feel should I ever get my bike completed. Never the less, when it was time to finally embark on the maiden voyage, smiles were a plenty.

This bike marks a couple of firsts for me. Numero uno, I was trying a new wheelset from a recently launched company, ROL Wheels. ROL is a very small operation out of Denver, CO, specializing in both high zoot carbon wheels, and very affordable, hand-built aluminum wheels for road and cyclocross applications. I decided on the more versatile, more durable Race SL, which boasts an impressive - and 100%-accurately advertised - weight of 1550 grams for an "aero" aluminum wheel with standard DT Aerolite spokes. Numero dos: This is my very first Campy equipped bike. I have always been a Shimano guy, but ever since Campagnolo brought their Ultra Torque crankset to market a couple of years ago, my mouth watered. Like so many before told me, I was not to be disappointed. I had to finally give Campy a go in the form of '08 Chorus.

The first ride was last Saturday's group ride from the Trussville location. I was desperate to complete a route that previously ended in confusion the first time around. The 30-mile jaunt took in some climbing, unimproved road surfaces and the most amazing scenery in north Jefferson county. This would be the perfect testing grounds for the new steed. As expected (my last bike was a '07 R3), the R3 was perfection. The fit was just like the last bike - PERFECT. The frame is super responsive, plenty stiff and those pencil thin stays do a remarkable job of keeping the rear planted on the asphalt. Cervelo definitely has their ducks in a row with this one.

Immediately I was blown away at the performance of the wheels. With a weight rivaling other wheelsets costing twice as much, I wasn't expecting any miracles. Well, miracles I got. They were stiff enough for a standard spoked wheel, and there ability to withstand the abuse Cedar Mountain Road threw at them was admirable. Better yet, the hubs and "aero" rim doubled up to provide buttery smooth, effortless pedaling when just rolling along at speeds. So far, so good.

After adapting to the different style (from Shimano) shift levers the Campy Chorus Ergo Levers use, I was in love. The most impressive part for me was the shifter ergonomics. No matter how I wanted to grab the bars, the shift mechanisms were right at my finger tips. The infinite trim adjustments up front, and the capability to dump several gears both up and down in the back made life much easier. Of course, the new Ultra Torque crank design coupled with the extra-meaty bottom bracket of the R3 made for an unbelievably stiff combination. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how amazing everything looks too. Especially with the sleek white and black backdrop of the R3!

There have since been two more rides all confirming what the maiden voyage discovered. This bike is dreamy. I couldn't be any happier with the way the bike turned out. Without a doubt, everything exceeded expectations. Furthermore, I mustn't forget to mention the weight: 16.05 lbs for a 61cm with pedals and cages! Having always been a huge fan of Cervelo and white bikes, the 2008 R3 was meant to be.

Thanks for reading,
Chris L.

No comments: