Monday, November 8, 2010

Cahaba Cycles at Xterra World Championships



Cahaba Cycles Team Rider Casey Fannin here reporting on a fantastic time in the Islands of Hawaii for the Xterra World Championship.
The beauty of Hawaii never ceases to amaze me. I feel very blessed to get to compete at this event. This was my 8Th year to compete at the World Championship, and my performance this year was a little off compared to years in the past, but with my injuries and lack of training that was to be expected. Still, the Xterra World Championship is just a fantastic time.
The race took place on October 24Th on the Island of Maui near Makena Beach at the Maui Prince. It started off with a 1.5K open water swim in the waters of the Pacific. A 2 loop course for the swim makes it a little tight for several hundred yards after the cannon fires off for the start of the race. There were about 720 plus starters for this years event, so it can get a little aggressive for the start. I had a great start position and was able to get into a good groove for the swim. I came out of the water around 23 minutes for a 2ND place in my age group behind my friend Tom Monica from California, he's a very fast swimmer and I never saw him, so I was on the chase all day. The bike course is a 20 mile track up into the Kula Ranch area above the Makena Resort. It has over 3000ft of vertical climbing in this short 20 miles. I say short with a grain of salt, it is a tough course with lots of sharp lava, and plenty of kewave thorns. I came out of the swim and got on the bike in the mind set that I had to try and catch Tom. I felt OK on the bike but I could tell it was just not going to be my day. I never had the power to go....it felt like I was going backwards. Oh well, I became the hunted. I wanted to just stay in the place where I was so my mind set became, don't lose any spots! I pushed has hard as I could and came into transition 2 in 2ND place. Out on the run I went. The run course is just under 7 miles with plenty of climbing in itself. I've been nursing a stress fracture since July so I was plenty worried about getting run down by anyone who might be behind me. I just tried to hold what pace I could manage. It was with relief when I got closer to the finish and was able to look back and see no one in sight.....I came home in 2ND place 1 minute down from Tom.....I took 2ND place at the World Championship for the 4Th time since I have raced in Maui. A World Champion Jersey would have been nice, but it was not in the cards this year. It has been a tough season for this Veteran, but a good one.
I'm very thankful to have friends and family that support me at this crazy sport, and put up with all the training that it involves to be successful. I could not do it with out the help and support of Cahaba Cycles and the Malki's who supply me with the best bikes in the business. Also, to Chris who keeps my bikes running in tip top condition. I can honestly say I've never had mechanical issues at all in any of my races. That alone says a lot to the caliber of employees at Cahaba. Thanks to all the staff for treating me like a King.
Now, I mention the best part of Maui was the Famous Xterra After Race Halloween Party. It was Crazy Fun.....I should have won, but I'll tell you the story if you ask me.... Until next time

Casey Fannin

No comments: